Welcome to bruneiONS.com

brineioONS.com is a weekly online magazine on art, lifestyle and culture
Twitter icon Facebook icon Browse Email
10/12 Sunday 09:31PM

multiply with watermelons

Guys can look forward to a more natural way of enhancing fertility. According to a report on Dole Nutrition News, new findings presented at a conference of the Indian Association of Urologists suggest that 2 compounds found in the watermelon have benefits for male reproductive health.

Almost 92 percent of the watermelon is water but the remaining 8 percent is loaded with lycopene, an oxidant also found in tomatoes which gives them their red colour.  It has been found that there is more lycopene in the red varieties of watermelons than tomatoes. A study on infertility subjects who took part in a month-long trial of lycopene supplementation showed improvements in sperm concentration and motility.

Watermelons also have beta carotene and a phyto-nutrient, citrullline, which can relax blood vessels.  Phyto-nutrients are naturally occuring compounds that are bioactive, or able to react with the human body to trigger healthy reactions. Scientists now know that when watermelon is consumed, citrulline is converted to arginine through certain enzymes.  Arginine is an amino acid that works wonders on the heart and circulation system, maintains good immune system and boosts nitric acid which relaxes blood vessels, producing the same effect that Viagra has for treating erectile dysfunction, and maybe even preventing it.

While lycopene is found in the red flesh of the watermelon, citrulline is mostly concentrated in the rind.  With one compound combating free radicals, and the other fighting erectile dysfunction, the watermelon may be the one fruit that can promote overall male reproductive health.


avocado - what's in it for me
Leathery on the outside and buttery on the inside, the avocado was never on my favourite foods' list, but having heard and read about the raves people pile on this ... More

yoga for health
When we hear the word, yoga, we naturally think of the bending and twisting of torsos and limbs into uncomfortable-looking poses. Some people see quiet images of ... More

get fit with tabata
Tabata is an advanced form of interval training involving the completion of an intense 4-minute exercise routine. Yes, 4 minutes. Sounds ideal doesn't it? Don't ... More

the virgin coconut oil
The coconut oil is making a comeback as an important food in our diet. Once seen as a villain that clogs arteries and raise cholesterol, the coconut oil is not ... More